Boys Junior Varsity Football, Boys Varsity Football · Marshall Falls 20-6 to John Hay

The John Marshall varsity football team fell to John Hay 20-6 Friday afternoon in a hard fought game played at Bump Taylor Field.  The game was moved to Bump Taylor due to construction delays at John Marshall’s new stadium. The teams arrived on an overcast afternoon, but just minutes before kickoff a cloudburst opened up a steady rain. The rain persisted for the first few minutes of the game, then gave way to sunny skies the rest of the afternoon. The game featured the debut of John Marshall’s new cheerleading squad, which will be performing at games for the rest of the season. (We’ll have more stories about the cheer team on this website, so check back).

John Hay took the opening kickoff but was quickly shut down by the Lawyer defense. Tayvon Coles recovered a Hornet fumble on their opening drive, giving Marshall possession just over one minute into the ball game. The teams settled in for a defensive struggle, as neither team was able to move the ball in the first quarter.

The game remained scoreless until Hay scored a touchdown with 8:47 left in the first half. The two yard touchdown was followed by a failed two-point conversion, so the score was 6-0. The Lawyer defense stepped up again a few minutes later, as Doug Clements intercepted a John Hay pass on Marshall’s four yard line. The offense continued to struggle, and Hay was able to score one more touchdown before the half. They hit a long pass with just 33 seconds remaining in the second quarter. Their two-point conversion was again stuffed by the Lawyer defense. John Marshall’s offense moved the ball into Hornet territory in the final seconds, due largely to a 33 yard pass completion from Devyn Ellis to Willie Phillips. Time expired before the Lawyers could score, so the score held 12-0 at halftime.

John Hay threatened again midway through the third quarter, moving the ball deep into Lawyer territory. The Marshall defense tightened in the red zone, forcing Hay to turn the ball over on downs at the Lawyer 16 yard line.  The offense punted on the next possession, and John Hay scored another touchdown with just 45 seconds left in the third quarter. This time they successfully completed the two point conversion, making the score 20-0 after three quarters.

Marshall kept fighting, and put together a nice drive midway through the fourth quarter. A 29 yard pass from Ellis to John Jackson was a key play in the drive, which was capped by a one yard touchdown run by Ellis. The extra point was blocked, making the score 20-6 with 6:40 remaining in the game. The defenses stepped up for both sides, preventing any further scoring and resulting in a 20-6 final score.

Cervonte White, the Lawyers’ leading tackler this season, led the defensive effort with 15 tackles. Marcellus Blade and John Jackson each had seven tackles, and Coles had six. Coles was the Lawyers leading rusher in the game, gaining 62 yards on seven carries. John Rhein led the receiving corps with five catches for 39 yards. The Lawyers (1-2 in the Senate League) return to conference action with a game against East Tech.